Meta: Not being a large state but Maryland is a can’t-miss destination for you to visits. Here will suggest you the most attractive spots of the state.
Looking to the United States map, Maryland – America in Miniature is just a small state in the Mid-Atlantic region. It shares border with many states.
It makes the Maryland topography varied: in east with the state of Delaware, in south and west with the states of Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C., in north with the state of Pennsylvania.
Being one of the highest median household income in the US, Maryland develops the economy in the fields of tourism with a variety of historic landmarks of the US. manufacturing, higher education, services, and biotechnology.
Get to know about the Maryland
Regarding Maryland state tourist attractions, it has to say that there are all places to visit in Maryland meeting your requirements.
The state offers the natural landscapes including both mountains with wild horses and seashore, urban areas with some crowded cities such as capital Annapolis, biggest city Baltimore and Columbia.
The place also has plenty types of historical landmarks, museums, theme parks, casinos, eye-opening shopping mall, naval and space facilities, etc.
Among many interesting places in Maryland, we highly recommended you to refer the following list of Top 10 Best Places In Maryland For Traveller in order to design your own trip.
Notice: the number order of these destinations is not relevant to their actual attractive rank. These places are all impressed by their specialties. So, you can refer and choose where you really love to go.
The Capital City, Annapolis
People usually think that every capital city is both modern and hectic with high traffic, high-density population, a lot of buildings and crowded streets…
However, Annapolis – Capital city of Maryland state shows up its distinguishes opposite to those things aforementioned.
Located on the Chesapeake Bay at the Severn River, Annapolis is a museum city storing the most scenic pictures on historical buildings from the colonial periods of 17th – 19th centuries, the brick streets lined with stores and restaurants also contribute to remark a historical view of the city.
Moreover, the capital also called “The sailing capital of the world”, be one of the most walkable cities and listed among Top 10 of best living cities in the US.
If you go to Annapolis, there are 5 must-visit spots as below:
- Anne’s Church – a fabulous church since 1704 which is famous for a big compass on the top.
- Annapolis Bay Bridge – The Severn River: its charming beauty is contributed by varied boats, colorful buildings on the banks.
- The Dock Street laid into the heart of Annapolis. It has many stops to go such as Annapolis City Marina, Annapolis Yacht Club, Annapolis Marriot Waterfront, the harbor area. Despite the central location, the beauty of this spot is peaceful, relaxing.
- The Maryland State House is an attractive historic destination as known as The Oldest Capitol building of the US. Although the spot is in legislative use, access is free.
- United States Naval Academy with the museum of ship-building, but a valid ID is needed if you want to come in.
Baltimore city (B-more)
Being the biggest city on the East Coast. It is also one of the best cities to visit in Maryland. You can easily experience the large ships, buildings, shops, restaurants, aquarium, museums, hotels in the high society. It is also famous for plates of seafood and cultural extravaganza. Therefore, B-more becomes one of the coolest cities to go to Maryland.
We will give you some shortlisted stops to go and things to do in B-More:
- The Inner Harbor – the heart of Baltimore for a hectic crowded center with shops like Harbor Place, Harbor East, Fells Point, and other interesting spots including National Aquarium, The American Visionary Art Museum, The Baltimore Museum of Industry, The Maryland Science Center.
- Maryland’s African-American History – B-more is an ideal stop for exploring local culture. You can get in touch with the museum of The National Great Blacks in Wax.
- Fort McHenry is a perfect place to go on a picnic. You will enjoy the fort’s sprawling and waterfront lawns.
- Artscape is known as America’s Largest Free Arts Festival with a variety of creative spirit such as iceberg, art cars, aerialists, marching bands.
Hampden, Hon listed among Top 15 Hipster Neighborhoods in the US voted by Forbes magazine with unique boutiques and restaurants or pubs, lively arts and music.
Deep Creek Lake
If you still think about where to go in Maryland, Deep Creek Lake has to be chosen undoubtedly.
You can miss it, absolutely, unless you want to have the best trip ever! As it named, Deep Creek Lake is the largest lake of Maryland state spreading all over 3,900 acres.
With the benefits from landscape built from lake and mountain, there is no boredness when exploring this spot:
- Wisp Resort for hitting the Slopes: Wisp’s terrain park has 34 perfectly groomed slopes always welcomes skiers from beginners to professionals to challenge their skill.
If you are not in the case, it is better to come here in the winter to enjoy ice cross-country skiing, skating, snowshoeing. Besides, you can climb to Mountain Coaster any time.
- Youghiogheny River is a popular challenging race for hardcore river-runner with the legend “Top Yough” and “Upper Yough”.
- Spruce Forest Artisan Village is considered an old-world where history still lives. This place has been witnessing trades, transactions, and works among craftspeople.
Don’t forget to try some special things at Penn Alps Restaurant & Craft Shop.
- Simon Pearce Glassblowing Workshop shows you how traditional craftsmanship uses their innovated skills to create state-of-the-art glass from melting fire, air with sand.
You can buy some great goods from the Simon Pearce Factory Outlet & Glassblowing Workshop.
The Ocean City
Being Atlantic jewel of Maryland, the Ocean City will take you back your childhood with a great friendly beach, especially free for most of the activities. This stop is a perfect choice for family vacation.
The following will list remarkable activities you can do here:
- Beach for taking sunrise with a breathless view from a cool breeze of the summer, gulls, dolphins, waves.
- Boardwalk has been a world famous of Ocean City since 1902. Interesting activities include cycling, exploring, taking a cup of legendary Thrasher’s Fries, wandering the Ocean Gallery, playing Skee-Ball.
- Trimper’s Rides and Amusements is more than 100 years old with the oldest carousel for the whole family to entertain. This carousel has 45 magical menageries carved by hands such as lions, ostriches, seahorses…
In addition, there are so many awesome things to do in the beautiful city.
For example, fishing, flying a kite, savoring a romantic dinner near the bay, sightseeing by Kayak or Paddleboard, catching the sunset, playing golf, challenging at Jolly Roger’s Splash Mountain Water Park, etc.
The Chesapeake Bay
Like Ocean City, Chesapeake Bay is also a family-friendly area located beside Calvert County of Maryland. You and your family can experience some suggestions as follows:
- Railway Museum and Trails – a most popular spot in the area.
- Sandy Point State Park is really close to Chesapeake Beach for someone who loves simple thing.
- Chesapeake-Bay Bridge with the beauty of the beach makes the place crazily picturesque.
- Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge is called as an “estuarine marshland ecosystem”. It is home of more than 250 species of birds, migratory birds along the Atlantic Coast.
Katherine’s Charter Fishing is not a landscape but a service for you in case you want to go fishing.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historic Park
There is one more crazy natural destination for exploration. The National Historic Park of Chesapeake and Ohio Canal will be an adventure taking you back to the 18th and 19th centuries with 184 miles of the parkway.
Specifically, the park starts from Georgetown of DC, stretching along Potomac River’s bank of Cumberland, Maryland.
Although the island is not far from Ocean City, it seems a new world opening to you. The place provides a lot of nature tours and outdoor recreation because it is really famous for wild horses.
In fact, many people, especially from the East Coast go to Assateague Island in their vacations with tons of activities:
- Outdoor recreation: Sightseeing cruises, kayak tours, crabbing, bird watching, fishing, hunting, biking and so on.
The island is also one of the most beautiful beaches of East Coast with 37 miles so it’s absolutely a paradise for you to enjoy some outdoor activities as above.
Moreover, other good ideas are walking onto white sands, swimming with waves along the Atlantic coastline and long unspoiled beaches.
- Nature tours to watch wild horses: they are absolutely dangerous so be careful and not reaching them. However, this adventure is still amazing.
The Assateague Lighthouse is located on the way to the beach. Nearby, foods and accommodations are available such as seafood restaurants, campgrounds included bed and breakfasts, hotels, beach houses, and cottages.
Maryland Live! Casino Hotel
Among nice places to visit in Maryland, Maryland Live! Casino is the biggest payouts hotels in the state located near to Washington D.C and Baltimore. This spot may be a dupe of Las Vegas.
You can experience the atmosphere or entertained its absolute house-full of services such as A-list entertainment at the Event Center, live entertainment at Live! Center Stage and interactive R Bar, the world-class gaming.
There are a non-smoking space and a lot of quality slot machines. Of course, all of them are in Las Vegas style.
National Harbor is a can’t-miss destination for travel. With no less than 150 different shops, ultimate restaurants and attractions, it’s a fabulous place to spend your time, especially at night.
You can have dinner with famous chefs, shop until you drop, walking along the beautiful Potomac River. But, there are more things to do here:
- MGM National Harbor is newly added to the gaming scene of Maryland beside Casino.
With $1.3 billion casino resort, MGM National Harbor offers entertainment, services including spa and salon, high-end retail, convention space, and more than 12 restaurants.
- The Capital Wheel for enjoying a new height. From 180 feet above the Potomac River, you can see the Capitol Dome, stunning views of monuments from Washington D.C.
If possible, you can try one of the VIP gondolas complete with wine chillers and a glass floor.
National Harbor Marina for getting out of the Harbor. You can rent a canoe, kayak, paddleboat or stand-up paddleboard (SUP) to hit the river. Moreover, National Harbor provides some SUP class to help you walk on water.
The Awakening is a wonderful artwork made by artist J. Seward Johnson Jr. It was created from five-piece cast iron sculpture with most of the iron parts emerging from the sand.
In 2008, it is relocated from the area near the Jefferson Memorial to National Harbor.
With its hip and history, Frederick attracts tourists by outstanding restaurants, cool art galleries, special culture, and beloved craft beers.
Years ago, Frederick was awarded “America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations” by the National Trust of Historic Preservation. We will give you 10 must-do things in this charming city.
- Downtown Frederick with the 50-block historic district is home to a Public Art Trail, restaurants, boutiques, high-end brewpubs, and farmers markets.
- Catoctin Mountains with its unapproachable beauty is suitable for going fishing, hiking, mountain biking, or riding horseback through miles of wilderness trails.
- Brewery Tour for you to check out thriving microbrew or nano brew scene. In this tour, you can visit Flying Dog Brewery, Deadrise, etc.
- Safari at the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo is optional for any family with kids.
Farm-Fresh Frederick for you to pick your own adventure at local farms.
Maryland state is gifted tons of attractive destination varying in nature, modern life, culture, foods and so on. We hope the Top 10 Best Places Of Maryland listed as above will help you plan your memorial vacation.
In case you wonder how to pick some stops where to visit in Maryland, remember to determine your purpose of the in-progress trip such as taking a natural adventure, experiencing the modern and world-class cities, connecting to historical culture, etc.
Anyway, we think Maryland will have the best offer for you.